Business Advisory

Grants for Small Businesses

Bright Beany 17 small By Max Polkey

Pexels kampus production 7289730

Grants can provide vital funding for start-ups and small businesses in the UK. However, many small business owners delay the application process or don’t realise they’re eligible for financial support.

See below for 5 options for small business owners to help grow your business.

Grants for installing high-speed broadband

Businesses in rural areas may be eligible for vouchers towards the cost of installing new gigabit-capable connections. Vouchers are worth up to £3,500 for businesses.

Find out more about the gigabit voucher scheme and check if you’re eligible.

Grants for taking on an apprentice

You can get financial help from the government to train an apprentice in your small business. The government pays 95% of the training costs, and you pay the remaining 5%.

The government website has lots of information on choosing apprenticeship schemes, finding a training organisation and more details on funding.

Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme

The Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme helps you raise money for your business when you begin to trade. You can receive up to a maximum of £150,000, including state aid awarded in the three years running up to the date of investment.

There is guidance on the GOV.UK website

Which explains whether you would be eligible and how the scheme works. The money you raise from the investment must be spent within 3 years of the share issue.

Enterprise Investment Scheme

The Enterprise Investment Scheme is very similar to the SEIS scheme, but it is for established companies that want to raise money to support their growth.

Under this scheme, you can raise up to £5 million a year and a maximum of £12 million over the company’s lifetime. This offers tax reliefs to individual investors who buy new shares in your company. The full details can be found on the GOV.UK website, including what money raised can be used for and when it must be spent by.

R&D tax reliefs

Research and Development (R&D) tax reliefs support companies seeking to research or develop an advancement in their field, and can be claimed on projects that are unsuccessful too.

You can claim R&D tax relief if you have:

  • fewer than 500 staff
  • a turnover of less than €100m or a balance sheet total less than €86m

Click this link to find out if you are eligible and what you could claim:

Get in touch with Bright Beany, and see how we can help you start your journey.